An ultrasonic cleaner is the ideal method for cleaning and restoring delicate items, which makes jewelry a perfect candidate for this methodology. Day-to-day dirt and grime, oily residues and even jewelers rouge (a compound for cleaning and buffing jewelry) can be removed from the tiny crevices and hidden passageways of these items. This cleaning method is ideal because the equipment can be adjusted to the proper ratio and frequency required to clean but not damage items. This is one of the top benefits of ultrasonic cleaning.
How an ultrasonic cleaner works to clean jewelry
special solvents designed for cleaning jewelry can be utilized however very good results can also be obtained by using water and an environment friendly low pH cleaning agent. Low pH or excessively high pH chemicals should be avoided. These aggressive chemistries in combination with heat and the ultrasonic activity can potentially cause damage to delicate pieces.
In the cleaning process, items are submerged in the cleaning solvent. The intensity of the cleaner as well as the heat of the solution should be adjusted to successfully engage the application. Ultrasonic cleaners work quickly to completely remove dirt and other contamination through a cavitation process.
Jewelry is cleaned in the same way as other items. Items are submerged into a gentle solvent and the cleaning process sends ultrasonic waves through the solution which creates bubbles that clear away all dirt and grime clinging to the jewelry’s surface. In most cases a short two to three minute cleaning is all that is required for optimum results.
Benefits of cleaning jewelry with an ultrasonic cleaner
- The process reaches parts of the jewelry that are extremely difficult to clean with traditional cleaning methods.
- Jewelry gets completely clean, leaving it looking brand new.
- No need to disassemble the jewelry.
- Multiple pieces can be cleaned at once, saving time and money. Follow manufacturer recommendations for maximum pieces in your ultrasonic cleaner.
- Gentle cleaning does not damage delicate pieces and allows for cleaning as often as necessary.
- Fill chamber with cleaning solvent
- Note that water must be hot. Ideally, you would use an ultrasonic cleaner with a heater.
- Run a pre-cleaning cycle
- Submerge jewelry into cleaning solvent
- Run the cleaning cycle
- After the cycle is complete, remove the items from the parts basket and rinse the solution from the items
- After rinsing brush the pieces with a soft-bristled brush. Paying special attention to brushing around the claws and crowns that hold the gemstones or diamonds in place.
- Complete with a final rinse. Place the jewelry in water only and dry with a soft cloth once rinse cycle is complete.
Which types of jewelry should not be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner?
While most types of jewelry benefit from ultrasonic cleaning, some types of gemstones can become damaged in the process. Do not use an ultrasonic cleaner for softer gemstones such as opals, lapis lazuli, emeralds and turquoise. Organic jewelry such as pearls, coral pieces and amber may also risk damage. You will also want to avoid ultrasonic cleaning for gemstones whose color has been enhanced through heat treatment.
For more than two decades, Ultrasonics International has helped businesses improve profitability by providing their clients with ultrasonic cleaning equipment that feature the latest advancements in wave sweep technology. Our ultrasonic cleaning equipment has a reputation for reliability and longevity. Utilizing the proper ultrasonic cleaning equipment saves money and improves cleaning processes. Cleaning results will be measurably better and less time will be required to complete the cleaning process. Production numbers go up and labor hours go down dramatically because multiple parts can be addressed simultaneously.
At Ultrasonic International Corp. we serve many industries including automotive, marine and government agencies and more. In addition to our wide selection of standard units, we consistently and regularly custom-design quality equipment to suit the needs of the individual customer. Contact our sales team today to see how our cleaning technology can help you maximize profits.